Wednesday, November 6, 2013

One Step At a Time

Today I feel content. 

I feel content in the fact that I can only do so much without feeling overwhelmed. 

This is a revelation a long time coming for me. If you read my first post you know that I often feel I am not doing enough. I am not moving quickly enough in our family's "Real Food" diet; I am not getting projects done fast enough here; I am not doing ENOUGH

But, today I HONESTLY feel that is OKAY! I'm okay with it! 

I was talking to a friend today about the things on my list of "to try", and it hit me. I have come SO FAR! I am learning new things everyday, and doing new things and that is AWESOME. Never mind the fact that I am not making everything from scratch, or the fact that I have 3 pieces of furniture waiting to be painted, or boxes waiting for new shelving. I need to concentrate on things I HAVE done. We have gone out to dinner ONCE in the last 2 weeks, which is a miracle for us! I made bread from scratch the other day, never mind it was super easy... it turned out and my picky boys ATE IT!!! I have a finished piece of painted furniture and  making headway on another; I have gotten into a great schedule of fitting in my workout; I have been blessed to help out at school. I have accomplished SO MUCH

I also have realized lately that life is way too short. K, my one and only son, turned 7 a few weeks ago. Where has time gone?! I worked for the first 3 years of his life and I regret every minute of it. I was young when I had him, so my weekends were about socializing. Yes I was still a mother, and yes we spent quality time together; but not enough. So, last night when I should have been priming some furniture, I instead sat on the couch with him next to me and my husband next to him and we laughed, watched his bedtime show, and taught him how to tie shoes. Yesterday morning he had a delayed start at school. I should have been getting things done, but I sat and laughed with him and watched him play instead. 

We have become such a fast paced society. If you aren't doing it all, you aren't doing enough... and as we are doing it all, our kids are growing, and we aren't LIVING! It's time to slow down and enjoy life. Yes, it is important to make sure that our families are eating good stuff, and it is great to have a hobby; But if we are getting too caught up on that and not enjoying it, then it isn't worth it. I don't want to be one of those people that says "I did it all", but look back and say "but I missed this". 

That being said, I suppose it is time for me to accomplish SOMETHING on my long list of to do's before I go get K from school! Just remember today, slow down! Enjoy life! You only get one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment